Skip to main content

Welcome To The Ashen Age

I once had a particularly solemn dream, a dream that seems like it would only appear during a fever or restless nights. There was a towering door before me, then came a voice that blew out all the candles. It was the scream of a beast, screeching about how merciless strength is the most powerful virtue of all. I smashed my pulse against my pillow, but I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if the beast's words were heeded.

I'm not above joining the bandwagon of creating homebrew settings. It seems like everybody has one, and I have seen some great things come out of them. So, I'm going to create a setting, one with dragons and gods and heroism in the face of suffering, hopefully one that you all and my players will enjoy.

The Ashen Age
(Markus Neidel)
Once the basilisk ascended to godhood, the people of the world thought that this was the end of everything. It had been a good run. Their lives had been uneventful, simple yet sustainable, free of inconvenience from fabled monsters. Once the basilisk petrified the gods and their gargantuan, half-eaten body parts crashed down from the heavens, many accepted their unfortunate end. Although, among every group there are those who either have a stubborn will to live or the understanding that the end is rarely ever the end.

So, the lucky few built their small strongholds underground and survived as their loved ones were crushed to death by the crushing weight of their gods. The few survivors never dared to peek their heads out of their bunkers out of fear that they may be petrified by the new all-seeing god.

For hundreds of years the surface was ruled by bleak reminders of humanity's failures, ash-ridden corpses, petrified pieces of broken once-gods, and ruins of things long abandoned.

It is unknown who was the first to release themselves from their own confines and step out into the wastes of the world, but soon humans found themselves on the surface once more, not as rulers but as roamers. For the people who are brave enough to settle on the surface, the world is strange. They didn't know what to expect, for all that they had heard previously about the surface were dubious tellings of their ancestors accounts. They only have the destroyed things around them to remind them of their legacy. Ash and dust is everywhere, hills have turned to dunes, forests have been toppled and stubbornly refuse to recover except for a sparse few trees, large lakes have been filled with ash and turned into bogs, and the ash has even buried entire villages. Alien wildlife grows slowly and sparsely on the shattered body parts of the once-gods, who's petrified bodies now act as mountains of sorts in the barren landscape.

People have and always will clutch for whatever power they can find in any given situation. Some people have claimed themselves as lords of particular ruins and most have made caravans that stick closely together to fulfill this wanting for power and protection. Some small communities have begun to spring up on the surface; although most still keep to their dark and damp dungeons out of fear of what lies above. These fear-mongers are somewhat correct in their assumptions, the surface is a lawless place and strange things also roam the lands above, thriving on the lack of humankind in their newfound ecosystem.

That's the Ashen Age in brief. It's awfully dry, life is snuffed out by dust and ash, and a cloud of ash always clouds out the sun. Some say that the goddess of the sun was also petrified and the sun was replaced by the all-seeing eye of the basilisk, basking in the success of its judgement upon humanity.

May Sketch a Day, 018 by AnthonyPismarov
Addendum
(Anthony Pismarov)
Phew, back to informal voice. At the end of every one of these more world-buildy type of posts, I will have an addendum with tables and whatnot to please my inner rules-lawyer and those that like more mechanical stuff, of course the tables will be related to the subject I talk about. I really like this setting, it's evocative and provides loads of justification for lots of things, such as:
- Dungeons, you got em. People have been living in them for hundreds of years, a few have probably died out and now contain monsters within the roots of their achievements.
- Mysterious ruins, yup. There are odd and ashen ruins above the surface, waiting to be looted, and people have already begun to squat in them.
- Giant Greco-Roman statues, uh-huh. The gods have plummeted from their orbit around the world, if you want some can still be in one piece. Also if you want, you can make the gods completely alien in biology. There will be a post about the gods soon, but just remember, you can take and remove whatever you want if you use this in your home-games.

You can also stick to whatever historical themes you want, since this is so far pretty vague in design, like:
- You want vikings? Sure, just make it so this is some sort of weird ashen tundra with warrior clans.
- You can go colonialist with this, with brave (or foolish) people trying to settle the frontier in these ashen wastes.
- You can also go with a Slumbering Ursine Dunes kind of route with this, making the ash more like sand and having there be tiny points of oasis.

I'm going to define all of this a bit more in later posts. There will be three or four more posts about this, I have the following on my to-write list:
- Gods and their nature.
- Caravans and the new people of the ashen age.
- Monsters and those that now inhabit the world.

So, if you want, tell me what you want to see next. For now, have a method of character creation, a kind of refined version of this previous post, your very own scavenger, just click on the red addendum link. In the meantime, see you all later!

Comments

  1. I like this setting already. I'm intrigued by the alien wildlife growing on the petrified gods, and really the gods in general. I'm interested to learn more about the basilisk and what exactly it is and how it got to be in that position of power. There's obviously a post-apocalyptic theme here, but are there any other intended themes? Is the basilisk's eye just a cool conceit, or intended as an allegory of some sort (certain obvious ones come to mind)?

    I've become interested lately in the idea of citybuilding in tabletop RPGs, as opposed to just exploration, so maybe some stuff on what, if any, established settlements exist, or the logistics of settlement building in this world, would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super dope but what do they eat? I know that's like the most inane question possible but I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

King Content

The Most Cursed Of Hands

Hi, I'm still alive. I've been pretty busy, busy moving, busy writing, busy working. I've recently moved across the entire country, and during my downtime I've been writing a small hexcrawl for my group to play as a mini-campaign when I visit them over breaks, and for a few new players I've met already. It started off as a simple hexcrawl featuring an awful forest and witch hunters, then ambition got the better of me so I added a fleshy dungeon. Consider this my belated addition to Nate Treme's Pamphlet Dungeon Jam . Here you go, the setting along with a few design notes further down this page (I recommend you read the second PDF in the folder first): The Most Cursed Of Hands I'll admit, the product isn't done-done yet, it's writing is a tad unorganized and its formatting could use a little bit of work. It's kinda hard making a pamphlet because you need to allow yourself to not give all  the information you want on a location, just enough

Blackguards At The Gate

I've done it, I think. I've joined the bandwagon of homebrew rulesets. It seems like everybody in the OSR-o-sphere has one, and sometimes it seems pointless to make your own because people are already writing their own. But then, I came to a crossroads with 3 systems that don't seem too compatible that I absolutely love, and saw it as a challenge to awfully amateur my design skills. The three systems are Knave, Into The Odd, and GLOG, and I think I've done an okay job at melding the good parts of them together. I'm not going to harp on much longer, have my hack, along with a character sheet : Blackguard Just kidding, there is a bit more pitter-patter from me. I'm pretty content with my hack, just keep in mind that it hasn't been tested to any giant extent like Knave. The main thing I am uncertain about is the Hit Dice, and if I should change them to D8s, but that's about it. I think it's kinda funny how I treat PCs like items, with luck ba

We Forgot We Were Human

I recently ran a fun game for a few younger players, it was their first time playing anything close to an RPG and they loved it, but I thought the session might go awry during character creation once one player was adamant about being an elf. I was a tad panicked at first because the system I use, Into The Odd , doesn't have any races and everybody is assumed to be human. At first I just assumed that I would treat her character like a human, like everybody else, but I decided that would be boring. Here is the quick hack I implemented to add races in Into The Odd . Every race starts like your standard human: Roll 3D6 for each stat, begin with an extra item. Now, from here you can do a few things to make the race interesting: Enhance  a stat at the cost of impairing  another stat. (For instance, the ogre race now rolls 2D6 + 6 for their STR but only rolls 2D6 for their WIL) Gain an ability at the cost of impairing  a stat. (For instance, the dwarf race now rolls 2D6 for