Skip to main content

XXI: The World

Creating something from nothing is REALLY hard, especially when it comes to world-building. I've always ran with the platitude of "start small, think big later". When creating a setting or main adventuring area, I've got a process I run through that generally helps get the creativity flowing and that doesn't need to be performed in any real order:

The History:
This is just a general three-sentence description of the history of the setting or area the players are going to be adventuring in. It doesn't necessarily need to just be three sentences, but I've found that this is a good amount of space to let creativity branch out later.

The Encounters:
If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, you'll probably know that I am a BIG fan of small tables. I generally like making a small table of encounters to gauge what enemies or allies may be seen when going through whatever fresh hell your players are going through.

The Bestiary:
This step is the simplest, and should probably be completed after making the encounters. This is just kitting out the monsters you put on the encounter tables, maybe add one or two more monsters if you want to stock up the encounter table every now and again.

The Rumors:
Rumors are everywhere in OSR games, and I personally love them. For just about every setting, I make a D6 table of rumors, if you don't like rumors you could replace these with three adventure seeds for the players.

The Title and Picture:
This is honestly one of the hardest parts, and should be completed last. It might just be because I am a more visual learner, but I like to give a picture of a scene possibly within the setting. If you can't find good pictures, go search here, here, and here for good doses of inspiration.

Hopefully this isn't too giant of an ask, for me it takes about half an hour to create a pretty solid setting.Personally, I execute the process in the order I presented it in, as I find that the easiest. Without further ado, lets do an example:

Wicked Kingdom playing card art by Wylie Beckert - ©2018 Wylie Beckert
The Land Of Plenty
(Wylie Beckert)
The King Of Spades has become ascetic in his age, abandoning his, and his kingdom's, worldly interests for boundless botany. Most villages, castles, and battlefields have disappeared beneath his encroaching gardens, with plants that have human likeness growing from those cursed plots of earth. The Spaded Kingdom has grown even more vulnerable over the years, as seditious scavenging efforts take place in nature's wake while the kingdom's guards are nowhere to be seen.

D6
Encounter Table
1
5 Scavengers, currently looting a large cart. They are too busy squabbling between themselves about shares of loot to notice anybody who would sneak up on them. The person who owned the cart is gagged and will make noise if they are not freed and they see any chance of rescue.
2
3 Scavengers camping, one is resting, one is wounded, and another is keeping watch. The one keeping watch in paranoia has a weaponized arcanum, the one wounded has a bomb (D12 blast)
3
A small caravan of 8 Scavengers, currently traveling to the same place you are going to. If they see you, and they think you look rich, you might be the victim of a robbery soon.
4
2 Twig Blights, draining the corpse of some weird giant for sustenance. Not so interested in your corpses, yet...
5
A giant log blocks the path, in actuality, it is 5 Twig Blights resting and basking in the sun.
6
The Grand Stag, currently hunting and getting intruders away from the encroaching gardens.

Scavengers - Rag-covered petty thieves
3 HP, D6 Shortsword, 10 STR, 12 DEX, 8 WIL
- Driven to loot and riches.
- If they deal critical damage to somebody, they take an item of theirs.

Twig Blights - Shambling mounds of twigs, branches, and ivy
6 HP, D6 Claw, 15 STR, 10 DEX, 10 WIL
- Driven to feast on blood and sunlight.
- Takes double damage from fire.
- If motionless, it can be mistaken for a brush.
- If they deal critical damage to somebody, the victim gains the flowering rot. In about a week, the victim will sprout flowers and wander off into the woods.

Grand Stag - A big old fuck-off stag with antlers protruding from its eye sockets
15 HP, D8 Antlers, 18 STR, 12 DEX, 12 WIL
- Driven to protect nature and hunt oathbreakers.
- Once the stag runs out of HP, it goes into a frenzy, gaining three random nature-related mutations.
- Can spit out projectile antler chunks, dealing D6 damage from afar.
- If they deal critical damage to somebody, the victim gains a random nature-related mutation.

D6
Rumor Table
1
A giant made of veggies roams these lands and eats those who are too rich, such as those damned lords and ladies!
Utterly False
2
Ghosts of the King Of Spade’s wardens burn our field, farms, and families. Hide your kids!
Partially True, they aren’t ghosts, they are just leftover soldiers from a fort nearby that are starving
3
Bandits have taken over Fortsholm Hill, and have been rebuilding it for some strange purpose.
Partially True, the fort is being rebuilt by a militaristic lich-druid and their liege of vine-ridden skeletons.
4
Many potent potions and poultices can be made from herbs deep within the overgrown ruins of the kingdom.
True
5
The thieve’s guild has recently unearthed something weird in the forest.
True, the cache of the magical items of an old lord
6
I hear the local witch has a pretty hefty bounty on her head.
True

See, now we're cooking with gas. This gives you just enough information to start branching out with things like more monsters and rumors. You could add in some factions, such as the king's guard who are insistent on restoring order because the mad king promised them riches, or a thieves guild hellbent on causing anarchy because their Raccoon God of Chaos shall favor them if they do so. You could add locations, such as witches huts in the forest, overgrown ruins, maybe even the King Of Spade's Castle. The possibilities are only limited by your creativity, which should hopefully be bountiful by now. Enough from me, go on and start creating!

Just in case you were wondering about my formats for the tables, it goes like this:
Encounter Table
1-3: Common enemies, different variations of the same enemy.
4-5: Uncommon enemies.
6: Something really weird.

Rumor Table
1: An utterly false rumor.
2-3: Rumors that hold partial truths to them.
4-6: Rumors that are utterly true or true to a great extent.

Comments

King Content

The Most Cursed Of Hands

Hi, I'm still alive. I've been pretty busy, busy moving, busy writing, busy working. I've recently moved across the entire country, and during my downtime I've been writing a small hexcrawl for my group to play as a mini-campaign when I visit them over breaks, and for a few new players I've met already. It started off as a simple hexcrawl featuring an awful forest and witch hunters, then ambition got the better of me so I added a fleshy dungeon. Consider this my belated addition to Nate Treme's Pamphlet Dungeon Jam . Here you go, the setting along with a few design notes further down this page (I recommend you read the second PDF in the folder first): The Most Cursed Of Hands I'll admit, the product isn't done-done yet, it's writing is a tad unorganized and its formatting could use a little bit of work. It's kinda hard making a pamphlet because you need to allow yourself to not give all  the information you want on a location, just enough

Blackguards At The Gate

I've done it, I think. I've joined the bandwagon of homebrew rulesets. It seems like everybody in the OSR-o-sphere has one, and sometimes it seems pointless to make your own because people are already writing their own. But then, I came to a crossroads with 3 systems that don't seem too compatible that I absolutely love, and saw it as a challenge to awfully amateur my design skills. The three systems are Knave, Into The Odd, and GLOG, and I think I've done an okay job at melding the good parts of them together. I'm not going to harp on much longer, have my hack, along with a character sheet : Blackguard Just kidding, there is a bit more pitter-patter from me. I'm pretty content with my hack, just keep in mind that it hasn't been tested to any giant extent like Knave. The main thing I am uncertain about is the Hit Dice, and if I should change them to D8s, but that's about it. I think it's kinda funny how I treat PCs like items, with luck ba

We Forgot We Were Human

I recently ran a fun game for a few younger players, it was their first time playing anything close to an RPG and they loved it, but I thought the session might go awry during character creation once one player was adamant about being an elf. I was a tad panicked at first because the system I use, Into The Odd , doesn't have any races and everybody is assumed to be human. At first I just assumed that I would treat her character like a human, like everybody else, but I decided that would be boring. Here is the quick hack I implemented to add races in Into The Odd . Every race starts like your standard human: Roll 3D6 for each stat, begin with an extra item. Now, from here you can do a few things to make the race interesting: Enhance  a stat at the cost of impairing  another stat. (For instance, the ogre race now rolls 2D6 + 6 for their STR but only rolls 2D6 for their WIL) Gain an ability at the cost of impairing  a stat. (For instance, the dwarf race now rolls 2D6 for