Skip to main content

A Backpack And A Blade

So, I'm going to be running a session tomorrow, wish me luck. In that time, I've been trying to modify Into The Odd's character creation. Don't get me wrong, I love how quick and concise it is, along with how many fun results it can produce, but Into The Odd assumes an semi-industrial, semi-imperialist steam-punk-ish setting that I am not all that into. I could just make a new character creation table (check out page 5 to see it), but it seems like it'd take quite a bit of time to make a giant list of equipment like that, and it'd be even more taxing to properly organize the entries by ability scores and HP because I have zero sense of game balance. So, here's some alternatives I've drawn out, along with a few examples:

Method 1: Bagful Of Baubles
(Konstantin Vavilov)
I honestly like this method the best, it's just about as quick as the original Into The Odd's methods. All that is needed for this method is a d20 table of trinkets related to your setting. This method only takes a bit more time than the normal character generation because of dice rolling.

First, you compare your highest ability score to this general table:
Highest Ability
General Starter Package Trinket Table
3-9
3 Trinkets
10-16
2 Trinkets
17-18
1 Trinket

Next, you compare your health to this more specific table, although you make up the weapons and what form they take:
HP
Starter Package Weapon Table
1-3
D8 Weapon / Two D6 Weapons
4-5
D6 Weapon
6
D4 Weapon / Extra Utility Item And No Weapon

Finally, you pull up the d20 table full of random trinkets. You roll on the d20 table as many times as the previous table says to. You reroll any duplicate trinkets. So, if you rolled Mr. Chadgod with 17's and 18's in all ability scores, he would only get one trinket and it balances out the insane ability scores to a degree. The d20 table is completely up to you to make, just make the trinkets relate to the themes you are going for. As a pointer, I typically make the first and last results on the table arcanum or some other weird and slightly supernatural item; I make the second to first and second to last results hirelings or companions for funsies; and I make the third to first and third to last results extra weapons. If you are running an especially lethal game, you could make a few results hirelings or extra characters. Without further ado, here's an example:

Ragwretch
From the deepest gutters of society, you have gathered what you can to rise to riches.
HP
Ragwretch Starter Package Weapon Table
1
A strange broadsword with antlers coming out of the guard of the sword and a deer eye attached to the handle. (D8)
2
A large column of rusted rebar, bent to look like a cane. (D8)
3
Two sharpened steak knives, strange meat still clings to the blade. (D6)
4
A wooden sword with bits of shrapnel sticking out of the blade. (D6)
5
A broken lantern on a stick, glass shards protrude out of the ends of it. (D6)
6
A brick attached to a stick by a bundled 10 foot rope. (D4)


D20
Ragwretch Trinkets
1
3 potions of a nature determined by the GM, but unknown by you
2
An ugly and dumb dog (3 HP, 1D6 WIL)
3
A large scythe, etched with religious symbols of fertility and good harvest (D8)
4
A lantern that casts a ghastly green light
5
A cloak made of rat and beaver pelts
6
Armor made of kettles and other cooking utensils (Armor 1)
7
A bundle of rats tied to a stick
8
A candle made of pigflesh and fatty, it makes squealing sounds when lit
9
Very fine and fermented wine put in a holy-water container
10
A large sack of various low-quality drugs
11
An old army officer’s uniform
12
A double-sided shovel
13
5 vials of blood
14
A bell, stolen from a church
15
3 flasks of a black fluid labeled “goat oil”
16
50 feet of rope made from clothes, hastily sewn together
17
A bandolier of pouches, filled with 3D6 fingers and 3D6 teeth in total
18
A board with several nails driven through it (D6)
19
A peasant boy, the only thing he has to his name is his clothing, a steak knife, and a kettle helm (3 HP, 2D6 STR)
20
Arcanum

My recommendation is to make a few of these "loadouts". You could make pseudoclasses with these loadouts. At the start of the game, you just present however many of these loadouts you want (such as fighter, thief, wizard, cleric, whatever you want) and let the players choose when generating a character. If you haven't guessed, my players are going to be playing as degenerates.

Method 2: Portions And Pickings
(Konstantin Vavilov)
This method is a bit more... methodical. Basically, you make a table like the one in the example below, and you go to your first ability score and compare it to the table. Once you find the result, choose one item you want. You cannot choose duplicate items. Finally, you move onto your next ability score and you continue the process until you have gotten through all three ability scores. Make the lower results on the table better while the higher results are worse. I don't really know how to integrate HP into this method, but I guess you could use an HP table like the one example above. Anyhow, here's the example:

Occultist
With power granted by dark Gods, you are surely destined for greatness.
Ability
Score
Occultist
Starter Package Table

3-9
Sense nearby unearthly beings
50 shillings in ostentatious jewlery
Arcanum

10
Unwilling sacrifice (6 HP, 2D6 STR, 1D6 WIL)
Golden wire
Vial of poison

11-12
A small collection of human skulls
2 complete links of 10 foot rusted and bloodied chain
Vial of acid

13-14
Drugs of a nature determined by the GM, but unknown by you
An ax carved out of ivory (D8)
A ceramic staff with a dead snake coiled around it

15-16
A random spell scroll, there is a 3-in-6 chance it backfires horribly
Black glue that smells of charcoal
Religious clothing belonging to a church of your choice

17-18
Bone club with antlers at the end of it (D6)
Glowing red goat eyes that replace your own, how freaky
Mutated pet pigeon

If you are doing this with a system with more than 3 abilities, just use three randomly determined abilities or use the highest ability, lowest ability, and the most middling ability.

Method 3: Back To Bastionland
(Konstantin Vavilov)
Just go to Electric Bastionland by Christopher McDowall, check out page 8 on the PDF and onward. Alright, I'm cheating, it's not by me but it is another okay method for character generation. Although it does deserve exposure because it is actually really good. It provides nice backgrounds for PCs that prevent them from feeling like faceless nobodies. Feeling this way can happen when you are just handed a list of equipment without really any other context to your character, Electric Bastionland fixes this and it's real nice. The only gripes I have are with how some of the backgrounds can feel a bit prescriptive and how ability scores aren't factored into the character creation whatsoever. Every character getting an arcanum from the start is also weird and can make arcanum feel common, but I know that common starting arcanum won't be in the final version of Electric Bastionland. If the items and backgrounds don't fit your game, it is at least much easier to change two 6 result tables to generate characters rather than one massive 60 result table.

Anyway, that's all I've got for today. I'll probably be able to post one more over the long weekend. Tell me which method you guys and gals like the best, I think all are valid methods.

Comments

  1. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas from SWEDEN about a spell caster named Dr. tunde. I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. tunde helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. tunde for help. Dr. tunde assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. tunde did for me. Contact him today via E-mail:(babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail.com) OR call him or whatsapp him  +2348143581382 if you seek his help.   Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

King Content

The Most Cursed Of Hands

Hi, I'm still alive. I've been pretty busy, busy moving, busy writing, busy working. I've recently moved across the entire country, and during my downtime I've been writing a small hexcrawl for my group to play as a mini-campaign when I visit them over breaks, and for a few new players I've met already. It started off as a simple hexcrawl featuring an awful forest and witch hunters, then ambition got the better of me so I added a fleshy dungeon. Consider this my belated addition to Nate Treme's Pamphlet Dungeon Jam . Here you go, the setting along with a few design notes further down this page (I recommend you read the second PDF in the folder first): The Most Cursed Of Hands I'll admit, the product isn't done-done yet, it's writing is a tad unorganized and its formatting could use a little bit of work. It's kinda hard making a pamphlet because you need to allow yourself to not give all  the information you want on a location, just enough

Blackguards At The Gate

I've done it, I think. I've joined the bandwagon of homebrew rulesets. It seems like everybody in the OSR-o-sphere has one, and sometimes it seems pointless to make your own because people are already writing their own. But then, I came to a crossroads with 3 systems that don't seem too compatible that I absolutely love, and saw it as a challenge to awfully amateur my design skills. The three systems are Knave, Into The Odd, and GLOG, and I think I've done an okay job at melding the good parts of them together. I'm not going to harp on much longer, have my hack, along with a character sheet : Blackguard Just kidding, there is a bit more pitter-patter from me. I'm pretty content with my hack, just keep in mind that it hasn't been tested to any giant extent like Knave. The main thing I am uncertain about is the Hit Dice, and if I should change them to D8s, but that's about it. I think it's kinda funny how I treat PCs like items, with luck ba

We Forgot We Were Human

I recently ran a fun game for a few younger players, it was their first time playing anything close to an RPG and they loved it, but I thought the session might go awry during character creation once one player was adamant about being an elf. I was a tad panicked at first because the system I use, Into The Odd , doesn't have any races and everybody is assumed to be human. At first I just assumed that I would treat her character like a human, like everybody else, but I decided that would be boring. Here is the quick hack I implemented to add races in Into The Odd . Every race starts like your standard human: Roll 3D6 for each stat, begin with an extra item. Now, from here you can do a few things to make the race interesting: Enhance  a stat at the cost of impairing  another stat. (For instance, the ogre race now rolls 2D6 + 6 for their STR but only rolls 2D6 for their WIL) Gain an ability at the cost of impairing  a stat. (For instance, the dwarf race now rolls 2D6 for